Saturday, May 7, 2011

A busy week in the Retirement Range

After a couple of easy runs to start the week on Sunday and Monday it was time to make things more difficult. On Tuesday I decided to go for a speed run up Bear Peak and South Boulder Peak. I managed to get up the 3 miles and 3000 feet of climbing required for Bear Peak in 46 minutes, after a short break it was time to head over to South Boulder Peak. It's just over .5 miles and 300 feet of climbing. I made the traverse in 11 minutes. I watched a train go by in El Dorado Canyon and headed back. To get back over Bear Peak means reclimbing about 300 feet before the descent. I made back to Bear Peak in 10 minutes. Now for the short steep run down to the Trailhead. I made it down in 32 minutes for a total time of 1:40. Wednesday I returned to Bear Peak and South Boulder, this time adding Green Mountain. 


Some images from the trails I run in Boulder Mountain Parks.

Thursday and Friday saw me returning to South Park to climb many more peaks, 18 over two days. On Thursday I started my loop near the town of Jefferson and headed south to my campsite near U.S. 24. Friday I continued south to Elevenmile State Park where I started to head back to the north. It was hear I believe I can claim a first ascent of a peak. I saw no record of anyone climbing it nor did I see any sign on the summit to suggest otherwise. So I will claim unnamed 9422 as a first ascent for myself. Due to the warm temperatures I was able to watch snow melt on the high peaks surrounding South Park. Enjoy this eye candy from Thursday and Friday.









Over all I'd say this was a good week with ~80 miles of running or hiking and ~20,000 feet of climbing. 

I don't want this blog to just be about running or hiking, I want to recommend music or movies or books. Here are a few songs I've been listening to lately. Here's to another week in Colorado.





No comments:

Post a Comment